Ok, so the other thing I made over the holidays as melomakarona. I had been waiting foreeeeever to have some, and I finally got around to it on New Years Eve...I had to wait till New Years' Day to soak them in syrup, but I was ok with that.
Now, normally I would post a recipe, but since these didn't turn out I won't bother. They tasted fine plain - I liked the subtle hint of orange peel in them - but the syrup-soaking was a disaster. I had even bought a candy thermometer, to prevent any issues with the temperature of the syrup, and I still managed to mess it up. Instead of cold cookies/warm syrup, I'll do cold syrup/warm cookies, because the syrup kind of turned into taffy by the end! It was soooo hard to get them apart to eat afterwards, and the syrup all just sat on the surface rather than soaking in. We ate them all, but they weren't at all what I wanted.
Saturday, January 30, 2010
So I've been a bit remiss in my posts lately (sorry about that), but now that school is back in session I've got assignments and group projects flying at me willy-nilly. But I have been taking pictures of things, and now that they've started to pile up I figured I should post something! First up: kourabiedes (part II) and melomakarona!
These kourabiedes are made with the same recipe as the first batch, but I made them bigger and rounder, added almonds, and added some rose water to them before I dusted them with sugar. They were much better, if only because they weren't burnt!