Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Ryzogalo


I'm still getting the hang of formatting my blog - the pictures never go where I want them to! I have to go in and change the HTML around! It's kind of annoying!

Anyhow, I had been craving ryzogalo for a while, so I decided to make some! At 8:30 pm! I had to go to Sobey's for some homogenized milk (3.25%?) and some more eggs. I followed the most common recipe that's floating around - it's a recipebazaar and about.com, but made a few changes. First, I added a splash of vanilla, 'cause that's just how I roll. Secondly, I found 3/4 c of sugar to be overkill, and I needed something to cut the sweetness. Lacking a lemon for zest, I used some of my bottled Sicilian lemon juice. I also used arborio rice because it was the only short-grain rice that I had in the cupboard...which made the corn starch and egg yolks kind of unnecessary. I think next time I'll skip those, or go straight for the long grain rice...but somehow, using Uncle Ben's to make ryzogalo just seemed wrong...

Also, it seems I need to acquire some sort of shaker for my cinnamon, because the spice jar that it's in has huge holes which means that when I want some cinnamon, I get LOTS of cinnamon. All at once. All in one spot. Whether I'd like the finished product to look pretty or not.

The bf and I had this as a snack, eventually (how many times did the pot of milk boil over...I don't even want to think about it!), and he loved it! I never did tell him it had "raw" egg yolks in it. And now that I've managed to do that, I should try making spaghetti carbonara again...


This post is dedicated to those late, lazy summer mornings in Galata, eating my aunt's chilled ryzogalo and drinking my chocolate goat's milk...

No comments:

Post a Comment